Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Refreshing Summer Salad Recipe


One of the things I appreciate most about Italy is the food! I think they have the best foods in the world and there isn't a country that does not take a liking. Back in the States, I always ate Italian food as well but it was to my surprise when I came to Italy, that they keep their plates extremely simple. Us Americans like to do the works and put anything and everything to make it more abundant, pretty and colorful. But here, the simpler the better and the more genuine. It does allow you to appreciate every ingredient put into it rather than not being able to figure out what is in it.

I hope to provide many more recipes that I come across in the future but below is a very very simple Tomato Salad Recipe that is both yummy and quick to make for those who are on the go, on a diet, or exhausted from work.

Tomato Salad (Insalata di Pomodoro)
Servings: 2
6 Roma Tomatoes
Oregano
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
White Wine Vinegar
Salt
Water

1. Cut the roma tomatoes into 1/4" full circles and place in a bowl
2. Sprinkle with oregano and salt
3. Drizzle over a moderate amount of olive oil and white wine vinegar
4. Add a little bit of water to give the salad more juicyness but not be overwhelmed with olive oil

And that's it! Very simple! I apologize if I can't give you exact measurements but just use your best judgement like you would with any salad dressing. As you can see, this is very diet friendly as well and the key thing is to get nice fresh tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are known to be in season in the months of (end of) June, July, and August. This is the main time where you can make this salad since the taste of the tomatoes will be the best and hopefully organic.

Hope you enjoy and happy summertime!

2 comments:

  1. oohhh i will try! and i would definitely love to see more recipes in the future! that way i can experience italy from my home! xoxo, grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely post more recipes in the future! I have learned so much from my mother-in-law and am so grateful for this experience. It's better than taking cooking classes. =) It's true home-made, genuine, passed down for generations recipes.

    ReplyDelete