Monday, June 21, 2010

The Amalfi Coast - Meravigliosa!




This past weekend my husband and I went to the Amalfi Coast and visited the neighboring towns of Salerno, Positano, Sorrento and more. It was absolutely breathtaking. You will be amazed to know how different one town can be from another even in Italy. But the Amalfi Coast was everything I have imagined and more! The water was this deep blue that I have never seen before. All the towns sit on the mountains and have such character with their color and magnificent backgrounds.

I might be biased, but I think the Campania Region is the best region of Italy so far. I thought I was in love with Tuscany, well I still am, but there is such diversity to the Campania Region. You have the best of foods with the Mozzarella and Pizza, but you also have some of the most amazing beaches, landscape, and people.

We ended up finding our way in the mountains driving for an endless amount of time through the hillsides and windy roads and decided to stop right where we saw a beach area very very down below. After asking a couple people, we found ourselves driving even higher to find parking. Please note, if you decide to go there, the best thing is by bus or train, or scooter if you want to drive through the mountains. Fortunately, my husband can drive with his eyes closed and maneuvered like a professional. So, after parking our car, having someone accompany us with their mini car down the hill, only to arrive at a long flight of stairs. Then down that flight of stairs was another mini car waiting to drive us down another windy road downhill. Which by the way, felt like either I was on a safari or on the Indian Jones ride at Disneyland. And alas, another flight of stairs to find ourselves in this beautiful secluded beachfront. It was like we were on our own private island. There were umbrellas and lawnchairs to rent but there was no chaos or pollution of cars. Just us, a handful of other guests, a nice bar and restaurant and the clear blue water. It was paradise.

If you ever come to Southern Italy, the Amalfi Coast is a must see. I am still in love with Capri (which is just a boatride away from Amalfi!) and it is still by far my most favorite city in Italy but this entire coastline was just truly unique. I have to admit that I actually got excited when I saw tourists in the city of Amalfi and Salerno. It's been a while since I have been around non-Italians and it gave me such comfort. But, once we were on that beach, I would pick that serenity over the crowds any time. =) I am very lucky to be able to have these experiences and thank God for it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment