Monday, August 9, 2010

Love Letters to Romeo...or Prince Charming or Bob or hot guy passing by....



So I was sitting and talking with my mother-in-law about the old days and about how a lot of women of her time and before didn't know how to write. And I was absolutely flabberghasted. I am aware that times were different back then, but just the idea of not being able to read some of the most amazing books out there or even to write and express yourself in words seems so suppressing.

She then continued to say that the reason why was because woman were not allowed to go to school in the old days because the men didn't want them to know how to write or else they would write to their lovers. That fact doesn't surprise me but it still makes me shake my head. But it also makes me smirk a bit to see that it was more about men's insecurities than it was about inadequate facilities. I think we would do a lot of good to experience a lot of the simplicities life has had back then and sometimes I wish life could be that simple but let's keep plowing forward with sexual equality. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment