Thursday, September 2, 2010

Eataly - A True Taste of Italy


Okay, so my blog has been about my Italian experiences in Italy, but here's a little change-up... Let's talk about Italian experiences in the States! I just read about Eataly opening in New York and think it was a long time coming and will be an absolute success. In one word, GENIUS! This multi-million dollar project that includes one of my favorite cooks, Mario Batali, sounds like something I have always wanted in Los Angeles. However, only makes sense that it has opened in Italy with the large Italian population. For anyone who lives there, please check it out and let me know how it is! I can't wait to get back there and this gives me more of a reason to and to show my husband that he can have a little of Italy in the States as well. =)

This building is truly a taste of Italy in one-stop. There's Italian restaurants, beer garden, cafe, pastry, vegetables, salumi and cheese, fish, travel agency, culinary school, pasta, pizza, bread, bookstore, houseware, wine store..... Basically, Italian heaven! Mamma mia! What I loved most is when Mario said, "Italian cooking is less elaborate in Italy (than in the US) and that's one of the greatnesses." It is so true! We Americans believe the more the better, the bigger the better... but the simplicity of authentic Italian dishes allow you to appreciate every fresh ingredient infused in the meal. True appreciation. The restaurants sound truly divine.

Let's be honest... Italian cuisine is one of the best out there. No bias... Pizza and pasta? Does it get any better than that? Those are nearly staples in any culture. I think Italian-Americans will find comfort in having this one-stop shop, tourists will feel like they got a taste of Italy in their trip as well, and everyone else can bask in this new experience and have a must-see.

Grazie mille Mario! I can't wait and neither can my stomach! Mmm Mmm goodness.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Anna! Really enjoy reading your blog. Have you been to Eataly yet?? Here are my thoughts. Their pastries are pretty good. I've actually had better in NY, in the Bronx. It's at a shop that's owned by Sicilian woman, and the pastries are to die for. I'm very picky when it comes to Italian pastries because I've eaten awesome pastries. I live in NJ, and it's hard to find any good pastries here. People here will recommend pastries shops, and they've always been a disappointment
    My ex boyfriend , who was Italian (he too was from the south, but from Puglia, and we also met while I was studying abroad. ) he always hated cannoli, and tried this Sicilian's cannoli, and loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway, they also have a Lavazza cafe. Anytime I've had hot chocolate here in the US,it's always been watery. But at the Lavazza cafe, naturally they make it like how you find it in Italy. Thick.and delicious!

    They also have a section for cheeses, a "marcellaria", a "pescheria", and a section devoted to pasta and sauces. Everything is set up just like you were outside at a street market in one section of the store. Seems a little cheesy, but cute at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for reading my blog! I have yet to check it out but thanks for filling me in. That's great to know! My Italian husband always criticizes our American coffee, desserts and everything else in terms of food so I can't wait to take him, although then he will complain about it being overpriced I'm sure.

      Delete
    2. P.s. I loooove Sicilian cannolis! Especially the ones with crushed pistachios..mmmmmmmmm!

      Delete