Friday, December 3, 2010

Simple Life = Less Expectations?


With all the wet weather these past few weeks I have been hibernating in my home and trying to stay warm. I save going out for the weekends but I have been suffering some cabin fever. At times, I almost feel like a puppy that has been stuck in the house all day and is scratching at the door to go out sometimes. I think a lot of you know what I mean but I have realized that a lot of Italians don't have this problem. Back in LA, I would go out every day, rain or shine, and would never just stay at home unless I was sick. I always had to find something to do to keep me busy. That's just how I was.

However, it's different here. It's crazy to think that most of the people in this town have never stepped out of Europe, let alone Italy, and some not even to any other major Italian cities in their entire lifetime. From my three sisters-in-law, only one has been on an airplane and that was just for her honeymoon. Ironically, I have traveled more Italian cities than they have. But the thing is, they are perfectly fine with this. It's a norm here and they don't expect anything more. They don't get cabin fever, and they don't have the urge to go traveling or take a vacation like most of us do in the States.

I believe it is a combination of what they are use to, the convenience of traveling, and their level of stress from work that pushes them to need a "get-away vacation". For us Americans, we take any three-day weekend, mental day-off, holiday break to take a vacation and go somewhere out of the city. It's just what we do. However, I do think that our more complicated, or less simple lives, with high-demanding jobs, sitting in traffic, and the luxury of having so many places to travel to with the click of a button and a cheap flight on sale have made us "want" to travel more and explore because we can and that is our norm. It's pretty much the same thing with technology and electronics.

All in all, I realize that my living the simple life here has definitely allowed me to enjoy the simpler things and have less desire for the materialistic things that I craved back in LA. I've learned to have less expectations on finding an event to attend every weekend as I did back in LA. I am not as crazed to follow the latest trends which actually is stressful as well. However, I don't know if I can ever fight this cabin fever feeling. It just boggles my mind how these Italians are content just staying within their little town for as long as they live but are completely content with it. All hail to the simple life? I am still split on my conclusion. =) I think it's a great privilege to be able to travel and see the world and experience different cultures, foods, people, and traditions. It keeps your life interesting, exciting and adventurous and anything but simple. I think there is a time for both... but it really depends on the type of person you are. In the end, it's what will make you satisfied and fulfilled with your life. What would you prefer?

1 comment: