Monday, November 29, 2010

I live in Italy, so what is there to complain about?


So this blog is for me to just complain about little petty things for a change. Because who doesn't need to vent over frustrations whether big or small, right? Of course, there are so many things I love about living in Italy, especially with the scenery, history and food most of all. =) But there are many, many things that I am still not use to... There's a list but I will focus on what that is driving me crazy at the current moment.

With winter weather well underway and nonstop rain for as long as I can remember, my clothes will not dry! It isn't common for Italians to have dryers because they are costly and electricity is even more crazy expensive when using them. At first, I really wanted to just be "the American who likes to spend money" and get one for my own sanity. I miss the smell of bounce and the warmth of the clothes straight out of the dryer. Like I said, petty little thing, but not even a factor in the U.S. because we are just use to having dryers. But, I am trying to do as the Italians do and if they can do this for their entire lives... then I really am being petty.

Here, I hang my clothes on my balcony. Yup! Just like you see in the movies... =) It is not just for show. In the summers, it's okay, because they dry like within 2 hours with the heat... but the winters are brutal. I can't put them outside if it's raining and the humidity here does not help it to dry any quicker. The other day I put our space heater under the rack of clothes in our home and they dried in about 5 hours... Not the most time efficient method. So, today it hasn't rained and it's windy! Perfect drying weather on a winter day! Thank you!

I apologize if this blog doesn't seem to be of much substance, but I hope all my fellow expats and anyone who doesn't have a dryer can relate to me and the frustration. =) Know that it's normal for even small things to get your spirits down, especially in a foreign country. We are always so comfortable with what we are use to and what is convenient and when something different comes your way, it kind of throws you off guard. The lesson here? Truly appreciate every little thing you have. =) But, also be open to change and adapting as I believe that adapting to you environment is a huge strength for anyone to have and shows that you are more open-minded.


No comments:

Post a Comment