Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Back to my so-called reality


Well, it's official, my vacanze is finally over. Finito. =( I had a great time back in LA spending it with my loved ones and soaking in everything I missed there. Call me a nerd, but every time before I go back to LA I make a list of all the things I need to buy to bring back and places to go and events going on that I want to check out. To my surprise my list was much shorter this time around. I think that is another indication that I am slowly weeding out the things that I just don't find necessary anymore and can live without like certain foods. Doesn't mean I don't miss them and still get my fix when back in the States, but it does show I am making further progress in adapting to my life in Italy and not focusing on the materialistic things.

Anyways, I have to tell you what one of the most biggest things I missed about being home that may come to a surprise to you. Well aside from driving my car on streets that everyone actually obeys the rules of the road.... Dressing HOWEVER the hell I want! LA is a trendy city but I have always loved the fact that everyone can sport their own styles and it is a presentation of individuality rather than frowned upon or gawked at. Sure there will always be trends and such, but I appreciate how there are so many different types of people and styles that rock the streets.

Here in Italy, not quite the same. You can basically sit at a bar and people watch and see every person walk by with the same designer names, colors and shoe styles. I am absolutely one for fashion and getting dolled up but some of my clothes that I would wear in LA isn't appropriate for here like ones with patterns, for example. And sometimes, I do want to just be in a hoodie, but that would be screaming American. Forget about all the hats I use to wear, that would just draw more attention on me that I don't want. =( I know I should wear what I like but I think I am being pulled in both ways. I will NOT change my style to fit in. But I will also tone it down as to avoid any further attention. =)

By the way, if you are interested in knowing what the Italians go crazy for? Besides the Italian designer labels, they are mostly American designers! Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, Timberland, DC Shoes, Nike, etc. Go figure! If you do make it out here, go into these stores and notice how they have a completely different line than what we have in the states... it's interesting to compare.

Back to what I was saying, I will be happy to report that I will not be sucked into one of their over-hyped and over-priced trends that I think are just plain ugly and unflattering... They are these Hogan shoes that have a little heel to give woman and men height and are suppose to be comfortable but I think they are just blah. I just don't get it... Sorry to any Hogan owners. I'm sure you look great in them but I will not be brain-washed and lose my personal style. =) I don't care what anyone says, I am content with the way I dress even if it isn't the way Italians dress... after all... I am not Italian and I think everyone's personal style is part of their identity. Never lose it, rock it! =)


No comments:

Post a Comment