Tuesday, January 24, 2012

You Can Take the Girl Out of the City but not the City Out of the Girl


It has been 15 months since I have been back to L.A. and I am feeling it! It's been such an experience, not only living in Italy, but in a small town in Italy. I have realized the good and bad about it... but no matter what, I am and will always be a city girl. Is there something wrong with me? Is there something wrong with me that I can't wait to land at LAX and take in the atmosphere as I step outside... aka... the smog. That I can't wait to sit in traffic, where it is really my only "alone" time and I get to rock out to my music. That I'm dying to be in crowds in the middle of the afternoon instead of deserted streets at 2pm. That I can eat at any time of day I want and the restaurant will be open. I will have lunch at 11am if I am hungry or dinner at 6pm if I want to instead of waiting till 9pm like all the so-called "normal" people here. I can go to the supermarket at night in some warm-ups and not have to worry about bumping into someone or being dressed inappropriately. Sigh... Italy is bellissima but I miss my big city and big city ways.

Of course, when I am back there, there will be things I miss about Italy... but I have never been away from LA for more than 6 months so it is just unacceptable. I hope to see you soon my big, crowded, expensive, smoggy, happening, fun, exciting city. A presto.

9 comments:

  1. I feel the exact same way..only the opposite. Im a small town farm girl that has been transplanted into a city. Most days i get on and look at all things bella about italia but some days i want to pack up, go back to my farm and that be all, but i continue on.
    Do you think that you and your family will ever move back to the states? Would you like to ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karla! I can see how difficult that is for you! Some people don't understand why life wouldn't be bella because it is Italia but we are still living "a real life" here and of course there are always pros and cons. I personally really want to move back to the States... especially now with my son. I just believe that the best future and education for him is back in the States. I am hoping to show that to my husband... How about you?

      Delete
    2. Hey :)
      I hope your week is going well!


      Exactly ! Of course in the beginning everything is just perfect but once you live, and actually live in a place you begin to really know it and unfortunately the place i fell in love with so many years ago is completely different now and not where i'd like to be permanately.

      I would love to move back to the states! I would honestly be there now if i could. I understand your want to move back as well and now even more so with your son. You should try and convince your husband to take that move with you. Have you ever mentioned it in conversation?

      Im convincing mine.

      Of course the immigration process to the US is long and draining but i figure that I am not the first who will be doing it nor the last ! Im ready to begin this process though. The sooner the better.

      Good luck with your journey as well :)

      Delete
    3. Hi there! You know exactly what I am talking about! La vita Italiana is not so bella with the crisis going on either... Actually, my husband just got his green card and it was a lot of paperwork and money... email me if you have any questions about it! (anna_quach@hotmail.com). We are hoping to "try" it in LA for about ten months if he gets approved from work and hopefully by the end of that time, he will be convinced we are better off there as well.

      How about you? How close are you to moving back?

      Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions... I have been through every paperwork process possible.

      Anna

      Delete
    4. Yes, its tough with the rising prices of everything, no food in the stores etc etc...Its too much for us now.

      Thank you for your email address :) I will be emailing you soon because as of now we have only just begun looking at the process.

      When do you leave for LA?

      Delete
    5. That's great to hear! I wish you much luck as well. Nice to find someone who is in the same position as me. =) Yes! Feel free to email me! We just went through the entire process so it is all fresh in my mind. When do we leave to LA? Good question... still waiting to hear from my husband's work if he can or not... =(

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete