Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dear New, Expecting Mothers


This blog goes out to all the beautiful women out there who are expecting their first baby. From one mother to another, I hope this blog will give you some uplifting spirits. When I found out I was pregnant, I did everything possible to get ready for the big change in my life. I read all the books for how to prepare for baby - how to take care of my body while trying to get pregnant, then it was the books while pregnant and what to expect, and then the books on baby's first two years. I knew that I couldn't map out my birthing plan and expect it to go the way I expected but I surely wanted to be prepared for everything the best I could. The thing is, these books tell you what to prepare for with sicknesses and how to bathe baby and what not but not for the real emotions that come into play.

So you probably are hearing from everyone now, "Get as much sleep as possible", "Enjoy your alone time before baby", etc. And of course you know this and will take advantage of these things, but it will still not prepare you for what awaits.

The first month is hard, period. Unless you have a nanny and had an easy labor and are superwoman, the first month is hard. Not only is your body still recovering, especially from a c-section which I had to have (already the first thing that didn't go as planned), but you are exhausted, not feeling yourself, not able to do your normal chores, have lack of sleep, and possibly going through the trials and tribulations of breastfeeding like me. Nonetheless, it is no walk in the park.

So where is the bright side?

When your loved ones promise you "it will get better". Because it does. And although you still have to rough it out until baby finally latches on, sleeps through the night and stomach matures - all you can do is take it one day at a time and let your baby cheer you up and make your heart melt with their smile.

Each day baby changes but things have gotten much easier from the first two months. I thought falling in love was the best thing that has happened to me but there is also nothing like the love of a child. There is just so much to look forward to and so many milestones. Keep the faith.

My new, strong, beautiful, multi-tasking, invincible mothers, "It will get better," and then ... it just keeps getting better.

2 comments:

  1. Anna! Omg look how big little Tonino's eyes are! I'm happy that you are finding it a little easier each day that passes. Soon you can look back at the first 6 months and give yourself a huge pat on the back for getting through it! Take care girl!
    xo T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Theresa! I sooo owe you an email and know that you are in my thoughts always! I've got a long, never ending to do list that has got you on the top. Hope you are doing well! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete