Monday, April 4, 2011

Random Fact of the Day - Coke or Coca Cola?


Okay, this is truly very random... but I realized that since I have been here for quite a while, there are certain things that have become a norm to me when they do differ from the States. When my good friends came to visit us in the Summer, they were pointing out so many little things that were different that I never even gave a second thought about anymore. Like how there were hardly any billboards on the freeways (autostrada) and that they were so clean compared to our LA freeways filled with worn out tires and ladders. But, I am allll about the little things and gestures so *slap on the face*, wake up and smell the Italian coffee that even smells different from American coffee. =)

So one really random one for you.... When you order "Coke" at a restaurant or bar here, you don't say "Coke" like in the States... you have to say the whole word - "Coca Cola". They won't understand you if you don't. When did you ever say the entire "Coca Cola" in America? I think we'd laugh at each other for being so proper hehe. Oh and "Diet Coke" is "Coca Cola Light" here... ;)

Also, gosh, I really didn't realize the lack of sidewalks here. I mean I'm always walking around and looking out for passing cars, but seriously not that many sidewalks. It makes sense because a lot of the streets are tight and small but you definitely don't see those missing from our cities.

Little things... =)


2 comments:

  1. In Florentine they say "Coca Cola" like "Hoe ca" "Hoe La". Pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Siena too! I think it's a Tuscany region thing that they pronounce their C's like H's because my neighbor would always say, "Ciao Hara" to me instead of "Ciao Cara". =) You are so lucky to be in the area where they speak the most "purest" Italian... I think my proper Italian would be soooo much better right now if I weren't learning more Napolitano than Italian... =/ xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete