Monday, June 6, 2011

Click it or No Ticket... No Worries...


So here in Italy, the laws of the seat belt are a little different from the U.S., lets just say a little more lenient. Basically, only the driver and front passenger are required to put their seat belt on. The passengers in the back are not required. Just up until recently have law enforcement cracked down more on the rule and have been giving out tickets. I think about two years ago, everyone was still not using seat belts and thought I was so weird when I put mine on. But now, just out of the fear of getting a ticket, and NOT for security, are they being more conscious about it.

One of the things that bothered me the most was seeing kids just free, standing up in the car, in the back seat or front. Or, when I see an infant in the arms and lap of a mother in the car. It almost makes me sound like a prude here in Italy, but how programmed are we in the States to buckle up and definitely belt down our children in their proper car seats at all times in the car? Sure, also out of the fear of getting a ticket and obeying the law, but mostly for security - especially for our children. For some reason, Italians just don't really account for security which is ironic with how crazy they can drive.

Which brings me to the experience I had this weekend. Italy has been enforcing a lot more police checkpoints in the past couple years. Basically, they will stop random cars passing by to just check that you have a driver's license, are registered, and have insurance. These aren't sobriety checkpoints, but of course, they scope out your car and you for any suspicious activity. When the cop came up to our car, he asked my husband for his paperwork and then said to me, "You know, you don't have to wear a seatbelt if you are pregnant. It's not required if it bothers you." Which in turn, my husband says, "Oh it's okay, we are use to just putting it on now." He checks our paperwork and then we are good to go....

I am not required to put on my seatbelt when I am not only protecting my own safety but now the safety of my unborn child as well? No worries if I risk flying through the windshield, as long as I am comfortable? All I have to do is put the seat belt below my belly and I am fine - a seat belt has never bothered me since I have been pregnant. However, the Italian law enforcement has graciously waived this requirement for pregnant women. Again, who cares about safety, as long as you are comfy, no matter what may happen.

Excuse my cynicism but it still boggles my mind and although I know there are a lot of countries that are still lenient on the seat belt rule, this is not one of the things that I will just settle into and go with the flow on. Unfortunately, I don't think this is the last time I will hear this from someone, especially when I decide to buckle down my child in the carseat for a five minute car ride. They may think I am a little uptight or ridiculous since it is out of the norm here but safety comes first and this is one thing I will not do as the Italians do.

No comments:

Post a Comment